Saturday, June 8, 2013

Hop to Osan AB - Military space A travel (1)

  I arrived in Korea (Osan AB) this Monday. I am here to take GMAT test (Graduate school entrance exam) in Seoul. the reason why I came here is it's much cheaper to come to Korea than go to Tokyo. I heard sinkansen trip to tokyo cost $300 but coming to Korea cost none (set aside a cost of going to Seoul). I have a family in Korea, so I don't have to pay for hotel either. I decided to come to Korea. Finally I finished testing today.
  
  As a spouses of active duty in military, a person needs a document to be selected to get on the hop to osan. It's called 'unaccompanied space a travel, CAT 5 document'. IIt needs a sign by commander so you have to go to wherever your husband's commander is at. the secretary wrote down my information including social security number at the office and send it to first sergeant and then went up to commander to get the signature. They also need passport number so it's good to have a passport with you when you go to get the signature. I happen to take a picture of passport number on my phone so I saved time to go to home then come back to the office. 

  After obtained the completed document, I went to the passenger terminal to register my name before the trip. registering can be done on the day of traveling. To raise the possibility of getting on the hop, I needed to go there few days before the travel day. On a travel day, which was on Monday 11:15am, I showed up at the passenger terminal and checked in. the list of the name who checked in was posted little later on the green board above the trash can. Then the worker started to call names as a order of categorized on the list. since I am at category 5 (none active duty but a family of active duty, travel alone), my name was called almost the very end of calling process. when they called my name I brought my passport and stamped by customs. I was seated and wait till they call the category of people. I came up to the gate and send my baggage, then pass the entrance of the gate. 

  when I entered, there were lots of military people and their families who was waiting for PCS to Korea. Majority of people there were army military or their families. I waited again and finally I could get of the airplane. After landing, flight attendant shortly served lunch which was ham sandwich or turkey sandwich. I chose ham one. oreo and small bag of ruffle were in the lunch box with ham sandwich. It took 2 hours and 20 minutes to come to osan. Roll call in Misawa was 1115 but landing was 13 something. I arrived in Osan around 1520.

No comments:

Post a Comment